Buy on amazon.com
23.1 x 10.6 x 13.8 inches
– July 3, 2022
This is my first push mower and I’m very pleased with the results. We have a smaller heard, front and back combined probably around 3,000-3,500 sqft. It was time for me to take over the yard maintenance from our gardeners (longer story here…) so i started researching mowers. Having grown up with gas mowers, i always bought quality machinery (snapper toro etc). I looked into cordless tech, which is much more advanced from when i last researched the options. The reel technology intrigued me mostly in the difference between cutting versus tearing. The reduced carbon footprint, lack of need to store gas, and getting a bit of exercise (always a good thing) sold me.
I did more research on reel mowers and also looked around for used ones on Craigslist. The Craigslist research tells me how well the various models hold up. It’s a great way to see if a manufacturer’s product falls apart after a few years. After much consideration i picked up this model from Great States.
I have used it a few times and i must say I’m impressed. It assembled super easy, so easy a caveman could do it. It’s lightweight and easy to push around. It has several adjustments for height which is nice. The rollers have three settings and also the front wheels have three height settings. That’s a nice feature so you can dial it in for not only the height but also the composition of your unique lawn (hard pack, spongy etc). It was fun to fiddle around with the different adjustments and see the differences.
The quality of the cut is noticeable. Very noticeable! I have a smooth even cut across the entire lawn, almost like a visit to the barbershop. I believe my lawn is going to looks great this summer and will be much healthier than before. Plus i will have earned my obligatory beer when I’m done too. While it’s more work than a deck mower, it’s not crazy like doing Insanity or plyo intervals. It’s a bit of a push but once you are moving the blades do most of the work.
Finally, i picked up the Great States catch bag for clippings. That fit nicely and was easily installed. I use the bag most of the time. About every three mows, i let the grass clippings fall back into the lawn to help feed the grass like a mulching mower would.
In summary i am very pleased with the reel technology over a deck mower and the quality-to-price for the Great States is unbeatable.
– July 12, 2022
I’ll update once I’ve had it for awhile but today was the first day. Putting it together was easier than I expected – took about 10 minutes and that includes lowering the “mower deck”. It’s barely spring here and I didn’t think there was enough grass to mow but since I’d put it together I decided to give it a shot. I was stunned how easily this moved! I did the entire fenced dog yard in 20 minutes. This space is generally free of sticks and debris (as long as I poop scoop first) so there was no issue with that. Clean cuts, quiet, and definitely faster than I’d expected. So many reviews talk about “small yards” – what does that even mean? My dog yard is about 6,000sf. Super happy with this and even thinking about using it for some of the hilly and muddy areas of the other couple acres of lawn.
Edit 05/28/18: With the grass a little thicker, it now takes me about 30 minutes to cut the dog yard. I get a bit of a workout and my Fitbit says my average heart rate was 130. I wouldn’t recommend this for someone who isn’t moderately fit.
– July 18, 2022
I’ve used it over the year and this is my honest review, pointing out the good, bad, and worst. I live in the southern state.
1) LAWN SIZE: I have roughly 2000 sq ft lawn of st.augustine and centipedegrawss. It was a good workout for me in the summer. If you have lawn larger than this, close this window and search for gasoline lawnmower.
2) LAWN COVERAGE: It will take some time to learn this to cut grasses evenly. This would need a lot more passes through the lawn to be perfect. (Unlike gasoline lawnmowers, following the wheel step would leave a trace of uncut grasses) Are you willing to put in more effort?
3) PRICE: Hands down, it is much cheaper to buy and maintain. And yes, it’s so quiet that you can cut grass in the late evening or early morning.
4) CONTROL: Due to lightness, yes it is easier to maneuver than gasoline lawnmower. However, keep in mind that there needs to be a strong effort from you since you have to have much more passes through the lawn due to smaller cutting coverage. The hills do not make this any easier and it will make you sweat at the end of the day. If you smoke or have not done cardio for a while, then I suggest closing this window and search for gasoline lawnmower.
5) INCONVENIENCE ONE: It DOES get stuck by a small wood stick. If you have trees nearby your lawn, close this window and search for gasoline lawnmower.
6) INCONVENIENCE TWO: It DOES NOT cut any tall things, like weed seed stems. Beware. However, it cuts through decent heights such as annoying Nutsedge. If you have a lot of weed that sprouts long stems everywhere, close this window and search for gasoline lawnmower.
7) THATCH: Be aware that automatic collection is not possible with this device. Though I tend to leave the thatch as is, if you like to collect the thatch layer, then you’d need to manually collect them.
8) BEAUTY: Now, one really good part of this reel mower is the quality of the haircut that the grasses receive. It’s a top class. If you love your lawn like I do, I know you’d go through ALL the troubles that I’ve mentioned above for the sake of the health of the grass. Please see the picture I have attached with the review. As you can tell, the left is reel mower and right is my neighbor’s dull blade gasoline lawnmower. Not everyone will have a dull blade to give grass that looks. But as a lawn lover, you’ll have this pride deep in your heart that no one acknowledges but you believe it anyway without a doubt: that your lawn has received the healthiest cut in the neighborhood.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Not that bad
Your Review *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Please note, some of the links on Scoopdeals are affiliate links which help support the site by earning a small commission.